Sports

AFL players referred to police after alleged sexual assault claim in Melbourne

AFL players referred to police after alleged sexual assault claim in Melbourne

Several Sydney Swans players have been referred to police after an alleged incident at a Melbourne hotel, leaving the AFL club facing an investigation just days before the finals.

Several players from Australian Football League side Sydney Swans have been referred to police following an alleged incident in Melbourne, the club has confirmed.

Victoria Police said detectives were investigating a report of a sexual assault at a hotel in East Melbourne in the early hours of Sunday.

The investigation follows the Swans’ win over Melbourne at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Saturday, after which an unspecified number of players were involved in an incident at a hotel on Wellington Parade.

Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich said the club was still trying to establish what happened.

“Safe to say, we’re extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place, and that the players have found themselves in this situation,” he told reporters on Monday.

But Pavlich declined to discuss the specific allegations or say whether anyone had been arrested.

“There’s going to be lots of speculation, but given it’s a police matter right now, that is all we can say,” he said.

Police also said the circumstances surrounding the incident had not yet been established.

“The exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing,” a Victoria Police spokesperson said.

The AFL said Sydney had informed the league about the matter, which is now being investigated by Victoria Police.

SEE ALSO: Cristiano Ronaldo Hints 2026-27 Season May Be His Last Year in Football

The development comes at a difficult point in Sydney’s season. The Swans are currently second on the 2026 AFL ladder, having won 17 of their 22 matches.

They are due to play North Melbourne on Sunday in the final round before the finals.

The club has not said whether the players involved will be available for that match, with the police investigation still under way.

For now, both the club and the AFL have kept details limited, stressing that the matter is with police and that speculation should not get ahead of the investigation.

The allegations have nevertheless put fresh attention on the Swans just as they prepare for the most important part of their season.

Filed under: Sports