The political battle ahead of Nigeria’s 2027 presidential election is getting hotter, and Nyesom Wike has fired a fresh shot at Atiku Abubakar.
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory took aim at the former vice president over his recent comments on fuel subsidy and his plans for the 2027 election.
According to Daily Post, Wike spoke on Thursday in Abuja while inspecting ongoing projects across the Federal Capital Territory. Wike questioned Atiku’s decision to now support the return of fuel subsidy after previously backing its removal.
He recalled that Atiku had promised during the 2023 presidential campaign to remove the subsidy within his first 100 days in office if elected.
For Wike, the change in position raises serious questions about Atiku’s political calculations. He described Atiku as a “voodoo economist” and suggested that his position on the subsidy was being shaped by political ambitions.
Atiku had recently said he would restore the petrol subsidy if Nigerians give him their mandate in 2027. He also questioned what the government had done with the money saved after the subsidy was removed. But Wike was not convinced.
The minister argued that Nigeria’s petroleum industry had changed significantly since Atiku made his earlier promise. He pointed to the Petroleum Industry Act and the emergence of the Dangote Refinery as major developments.
Wike then raised a question for Atiku: how would a future government pay subsidy on petrol produced by private refineries?. The FCT minister also defended President Bola Tinubu’s decision to remove the subsidy.
According to him, the policy has increased revenue available to the three tiers of government. He said the additional funds have helped governments meet obligations such as salaries and pensions.
However, Wike’s most striking comment was not about fuel. It was about Atiku’s chances in 2027. Wike rejected the suggestion that Atiku remains one of the leading contenders for the presidency.
“I disagree with you that Atiku is one of the leading candidates,” he said.
Wike instead insisted that Tinubu remains the leading candidate ahead of the 2027 election. He also argued that the opposition is currently weaker than it was during the 2023 election.
With political alliances already shifting ahead of 2027, Wike’s comments are likely to fuel another round of debate among politicians and voters.





