News

New Judge Appointed to Lead Donald Trump’s $10 Billion Lawsuit Against the BBC

New Judge Appointed to Lead Donald Trump’s $10 Billion Lawsuit Against the BBC

A newly appointed federal judge has taken over Donald Trump’s massive $10 billion defamation lawsuit against the BBC in Florida.

A brand-new federal judge has been assigned to oversee the high profile ten billion dollar defamation lawsuit brought by Donald Trump against the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).

The court case swap occurred in mid-August 2026 inside a federal court in Florida, where judge reassignments routinely take place to share incoming workloads when new judges join the bench.

Newly appointed federal judge Robert Kuntz will now preside over the ongoing legal battle, taking over the case history as both sides prepare for pre trial arguments.

The massive lawsuit centers on a 2024 BBC television documentary program called Panorama, which featured edited video footage of a speech delivered by Donald Trump on January 6, 2021.

Trump’s legal team claims the news clip spliced together two separate statements made nearly an hour apart, creating a false impression that he directly called on his supporters to carry out violence.

The former president filed the lawsuit seeking five billion dollars for defamation and another five billion dollars for trade practice violations, arguing that the edited documentary severely damaged his personal reputation and business interests.

Explaining why the broadcast was deeply misleading, Trump’s lawyers argued in court filings that the edited video changed the true meaning of his words.

Highlighting how the broadcast misled viewers, Trump attorney Alejandro Brito told the court, “What matters is what he said relative to what was broadcast that he said. That’s it. There’s nothing more that needs to be examined”.

See Also: Legendary ZZ Top Drummer Frank Beard Dies at 77 After Decades of Rock Hits

The BBC has officially apologized for how the video was spliced together, admitting that the quick edit gave a mistaken impression.

However, lawyers representing the UK broadcaster maintain that the mistake was an honest editing error and does not justify a multi billion dollar defamation claim.

Defending the organization’s right to gather facts, BBC defense attorney Sasha Dudding noted in court that the network’s leaders acted without malice, stating that the chairman had already clarified “that the misleading edit was unintentional”.

Legal reporting from outlets like The Guardian and Fox News notes that the BBC is also pushing to get testimony from key witnesses and review relevant documents ahead of the main trial.

In simple terms, a brand-new judge has been handed the huge legal fight between Donald Trump and the BBC. Trump is demanding billions of dollars because he says the news channel edited his video to make him look bad, while the BBC says it was an accident and does not owe him money.

Filed under: News